2012-09-11

Vila Nova de Milfontes - Portugal


© Forways

Sent by Ninocas

"Vila Nova de Milfontes is a parish in the Odemira municipality of Portugal. It is cornered between the Atlantic Ocean and the Mira River, in the Sudoeste Alentejano and Costa Vicentina Natural Park.

The village dates from the year 1468, founded by the King D. João II. The first inhabitants were prisoners sentenced by minor delicts and fifty years after the village establishment the population was no more than ten families. The village was frequently attacked by pirates and a fortress was built in 1602. The fortress is commonly called Saint Clement's Castle." In: Wikipedia
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...